I am Jen...

I am Jen...

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Comfort Food

The weather has turned a bit colder and the smokey haze from the MN wildfires is clouding the air.  Emotionally, I feel like wrapping up and hiding out under the table fort with a good book & soft pillow.  Physically, I am craving comfort foods.  You know what I am talking about:  warm, chocolate chip cookies and milk, tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, meatloaf and mashed potatoes...mmmmmmm

When you have 3 small kids, it is not practical to curl up under the table--unless they are with you, but then there wouldn't be much time to read and rest.  Also, if I ate all the comfort foods, I am craving, I would probably be in a coma.  So, I am experimenting...Making these meals, but trying to find healthy substitutes.  Here is one option I made this afternoon:

Tomato Soup
(Servings of Veggies--LOTS)

1 can of V-8 Juice (Low Sodium)
1.5 Cups of Milk (Whole)
1 Cup of Shredded Carrots
1/2 Cup of Shredded Zucchini
1/3 container of Cream Cheese
Fresh Basil Leaves
2 Shakes of Black Pepper
2 Shakes of Garlic Powder

Combine all the ingredients in a blender or Magic Bullet.  Blend them until the mixture is creamy.  Cook over medium heat until boiling.  Turn down to simmer for a while or until you are ready to eat.

Serve with all-natural Gold Fish Crackers and fruit.  Putting the crackers in the soup is like dunking your grilled cheese sandwich.  The kids liked it, too. 

Maybe I will MAKE some time to read and rest, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment