I am Jen...

I am Jen...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Racing wildly...

"The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."

Allan K. Chalmers

I loved this picture of the nuns riding tricycles and smiling happily into the camera--it reminded me of a recent adventure with my sons.

While my daughter slept, the boys and I had tricycle races down the hill at our farm. We laughed and whooped loudly as we raced down the hill and then turned and ran back up again to see if we could go further and faster each time.

I had the grand idea of bungee-cording the bikes together and then speeding down the hill like a run-away train, but when we tried it, it didn't work out quite as I planned.

I think I forgot to calculate the extra weight of my youngest on the seat with me and the pressure of flying over large rocks as we sped into the little gully at the way bottom of the hill. Unfortunately, for our fun, the front tire went flying out under us as we rolled into a pile.

Still laughing and feeling grateful that no one was hurt, we climbed up the hill, carrying the pieces of our trike train behind us. My eldest talked about it all afternoon--how great it was and that we should create a track and find a stronger tricycle. It was memorable for such a simple act.

We are working on a butterfly project today--what are you doing?

I hope whatever it is, that it makes you laugh and creates a memory about which you can tell a marvelous story. Do something you LOVE and let your dreams spiral out of that passion and joy--racing wildly ahead of you and with an abandonment that you see in the young and young at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment