I am Jen...

I am Jen...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Too Ripe Bananas...


I am not a fan of eating ripe bananas unless they are the base for some type of bread.
My kids eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.  However, sometimes they eat the apples, oranges, watermelon and mangoes before the bananas and we wind up with a few overripe ones that linger in the fruit bowl.  When this happens, I usually decide to make banana bread, but with a little twist.  It is always more fun to add in some other interesting fruit or vegetable to create a moist and tasty treat for the family.  One of my favorites, is zucchini.  I ADORE this time of year, when the zucchinis and tomatoes are coming in faster than you can consume them.  The kids get a kick out of "mushing" the bananas and mixing the ingredients together and it is a wonderful exercise for all involved:  It teaches the kids to follow directions and it gives me the opportunity to practice my patience.   

I found this easy and delicious recipe on line at www.atasteofhome.com.  I added a bit more flour, cut down on the sugar, used a dash of Kahlua instead of the banana extract (I already had the Kahlua and didn't want to waste money, gas or time to go to the store), and substituted dried dates instead of the walnuts (I try to use recipes that I can have the kids take to school for a healthy snack).  Try it out and experiment with the ingredients to make some great goodies for your family and you!  The 3 loaves we made this afternoon were gone before 10PM tonight so I guess we will have to make more tomorrow.  Have fun and enjoy!

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon banana extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the egg, bananas, oil and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini and walnuts.
  • Transfer to three 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 mini loaves (6 slices each).

No comments:

Post a Comment