I am Jen...

I am Jen...

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Making time for the small things in life...

A sweet Mama has moved in at Maryacres.  It is Robin--a silly, innocent mother who has found a place to build her nest right under our noses. 

She scared the daylights out of me one night a few weeks ago when I came home after teaching class--it was dark and the porch light came on as I moved toward the front door.  She bolted and fluttered back and forth protectively around her nest until I moved away.  


After about ten minutes of shooing and smacking mosquitoes, I made a quick dash to the door while she stood near her nest, looking up at the light as if in a trance.

I LOVE robins and have spent numerous spring and summer days looking for nests and the pale, pretty blue eggs.  They symbolize rebirth and renewal--hope and joy springing up in every corner of the land--and gratitude for a time to recharge and explore. 

So--you can imagine how happy I was to get this picture and the ones below of Robin and her little babies.  When Robin is out and about looking for food, I carefully creep to the cabinet, pull up a box on which to stand (I am vertically challenged, you know) and then raise the camera carefully over the nest to take the pictures.



As the weeks have passed, Robin has become more accustomed to the dogs and us coming and going, yelling, barking, laughing and moving around.  She has been a good mother--gathering and sitting, warming and then leaving, returning with things to give comfort and nourishment to her small chicks. 



I admire her and her patience and tenacity.  I admire how she focuses on the small things that need to be done to survive and thrive in our world, but I also LOVE how she knows how and when to rest.  She flits and flies here and there diligently digging and protecting, and then gently drops food into her chicks' open and awaiting mouths.  It is a LOT of work, but she doesn't complain or let up.  Instead, she settles down over the chicks to keep them warm and safe.  It is beautiful and comforting to see.  


I watch her when she is gone, too, and see how, when she is away from the nest, she also takes time for herself--to clean her feathers, to grab food for herself, to sit on the roof of the smokehouse and sun herself.  It is an important reminder to me and ALL mothers.  Take time for YOU.  MAKE TIME!  We are all better and more loving when we do.  We are able to mentor our children in how to live WELL in this world--instead of JUST survive.

There were originally three small chicks in the nest, and seeing them reminded me again of my own situation--we have three kids whom I adore and upon which I dote--I spend an inordinate amount of time gathering and preparing food, helping them test their wings in the world, making sure they feel safe and confident--LOVED!  I can't imagine my life without any of them and their unique personalities and gifts.  I am so blessed.


Sadly, though, our Robin now only has 2 babies. The dogs unfortunately startled one out of the nest this week and it didn't make it. It broke my heart so see it laying on the ground so still and stiff.  Part of my universal mother wisdom cried out at Robin's loss and I wanted to do something to comfort her.  We had a ritual to celebrate her baby's life and how it had touched ours.

Little Shrek, Miss A., John and I wrapped the small, soft bird in a piece of old flannel sheet with roses on it and then tied the bundle together with a blue ribbon. We dug a hole near Mowgli (our lab, who died and is buried behind the house in a small clearing in the trees) and placed her beautiful, small body in the ground.

The kids said blessings of "I wish you were still alive, but since you aren't, I hope you get lots of big worms and juicy 'drubs' in Heaven with the angels." We put pine cones and flowers on top of the grave and wished her sweet chick happy flight.

I will ALWAYS remember this small moment with my kids because it was so special and filled with love--the love I have been feeding and nurturing them with.  It was kind and sweet and a perfect reflection of my "mothering."


I saw in that moment that they are learning even the tiniest of "God's creatures" matter--as does their life and how we honor it. 

It made me smile and know that my "chicks" are growing up and will leave the nest soon enough.  It also has encouraged me to STOP and cherish more of the small, seemingly inconsequential moments in our life together.

What are doing to welcome and honor the teachers who show up on your front porch?  How are you "mothering" yourself and others in your life?

Remember the small moments and enjoy the life you are weaving with them.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment